Gatsby 101: Build a Personal Website
In this workshop, we’ll cover the basics of how to build fast, accessible sites with Gatsby. You’ll learn the ins and outs of creating Gatsby sites, from selecting a starter or theme, using GraphQL to generate data, deploying your site, and more!!
- How to set up a basic Gatsby site
- When to use a plugin vs starter vs theme
- How to use GraphQL to generate a data layer available to your site’s components
- How to import components in Markdown with MDX
- How CSS and nested layouts work in Gatsby
- How to deploy your site
What hardware/software do you need? Bring a Mac or Windows computer with a text editor, Node, and Git installed. We’ll provide a repository you can use to practice and follow along. Otherwise, you can start something from scratch.
About Aisha Blake
Aisha Blake is a Staff Software Engineer at Gatsby currently building 〈title of conf〉, a musical tech conference. She also supports the community by co-organizing self.conference and Detroit Speakers in Tech. A theatre kid turned tech community leader, she approaches speaking and teaching as a way to give others the tools to shine as brightly as they can. In her spare time, she sings karaoke and pets dogs.